It’s no secret to either of my readers — I’m a big fan of Seattle-based Alial Fital. The almost three-year old company makes polo shirts and sundry other bits of apparel, all of which is manufactured in the US of A. It outfits Bo Van Pelt on the PGA Tour. I’ve blogged bundles on AF — most recently to suggest Ryder Cup Captain Tom Watson look its way.
AF shirts, in particular, have caught my fancy, so much so that my collection is now close to two dozen. When Santa Claus comes to the Jenkins household in a few months it will number 27. And because I love lists, I thought it was about time to do my own AF top ten, all of which I own:
10. BVP Sunday Ardmore Polo. “Ardmore” refers to Ardmore, PA, the site of the 2013 U.S. Open, which I attended … Van Pelt missed the cut at Merion, so this polo never saw the light of day on the Sunday that Justin Rose won his first major … Santa Claus picked this one up for me recently along with two others, one of which, the Dancepak Revolution polo, was my no. 11 … Goes into my closet with very little in the way of pink shirt competition.
9. Chief Sealth Golf Polo. Wore this one out to the 2012 Greenspan Cup Boys Day Out at Chambers Bay … Pics from that day speak for themselves — striking (the clothes, that is).
8. The Standard Golf Polo. Classic AF … Picked this one up earlier this year within hours of its appearance on AFPolos.com … Looks great with dark blue or white, shorts or pants.
7. Official BVP Jetsetter Long-Sleeve Polo. The only long-sleever in my top 10 and one of only two I own … Probably wear it more than any other AF, almost exclusively off the course.
6. Rocco’s Polo. A classic case of “how have I lived without THAT?” … A perfect summer shirt on or off the course … To my great surprise the rest of the world hasn’t felt that way, and it’s now on sale for $45.
5. Beau Nash Golf Polo. A neutral piece that works well with stone, gray or black pants on or off the course … Like most of my AF favorites, it’s simple — the placket and collar match … Would probably have this one listed a bit higher but it’s made of a heavier poly blend that AF has since discontinued.
4. Knight Away Golf Polo. Picked this one up this summer soon after it showed up on the site … Wore it at the 2013 Sahalee Member-Guest … Very high on the “wow” factor … Thought it would fly off the site but it’s still there after three-plus months and is now on sale for $60 — shows what I know.
3. 2012 US Open Golf Polo. This one flew off the Alial Fital site quick … Ended up buying a pre-worn one on Ebay … If we do an “America Day” on our next Europe trip, this one will get the call.
2. In the Hunt For Greatness Golf Polo. If I could design a golf polo, this just might be it … Sort of a green version of the aforementioned 2012 US Open polo.
1. Top of the Hill Polo. The perfect polo shirt on or off the course … Literally my favorite shirt — and if you’ve ever seen my closet, that’s really saying something.
AF releases roughly 5-6 new shirts every month and, although not every shirt is a home run, a good many of them are at least extra base hits. Just a guess, but this list will look quite different in October 2014.